Tote Bag

tote bag made from 50# dog food sack
February 2017
Sheri and I got together recently and stitched a tote bag from plastic feed sacks. I'm pleased with the result, but I will move the straps more toward the center on the next one I make.

I understand the reason plastic is now being used for feed sacks: it doesn't rip as easily as paper, but unfortunately, the plastic also does not decompose. Convenience wins, and the environment loses.

Pinterest and the internet offer numerous ideas on how to utilize these feed sacks. Many free patterns or directions are available to make gardening aprons, tote bags, messenger bags, zipper bags, etc. Pinterest has links to over 1000 ideas on how to make something useful from plastic feed bags. The more bags that are kept from the landfill the better.

Make sure to use a heavy-duty needle in your sewing machine and lengthen the stitch, too. Don't expect perfect tension, as the bags are slippery.

Have you found a way to recycle your pet food bags?


Comments

  1. I think they are just paper for cat food????? Ive never seen a plastic cat food bag...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I had no idea they didn't decompose.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is brilliant and adorable and environmental all at the same time! Wish I had your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love your tote. I am still cooking for our dogs so there are no food sacks around our house, but if I get my hands on a couple I will make some totes for grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dog food still comes in a paper bag! Cute idea to reuse it. We saved Bird Seed bags for the neighbor she made bean bags out of them for a yard game:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.