Back in Time - Brooder House

"Sis," Jerry, Dad, Rich, and John
(Marilyn was probably a baby at the time)
approximately 1945
The brooder house looks fairly new in this photo, and I'm sure my Dad built it. It was used to keep the baby chicks safe, warm, and contained until they were old enough to be transferred to the chicken house.

It was no longer used for chicks when I was small: it was used for storage. I loved that little building and begged my parents to move it closer to the house and let me use it as a playhouse. Despite all my whining, it didn't happen. Rather than be deterred from my dream, I moved things around in the little building and adapted my play around the items.

The brooder house was located adjacent to the quonset hut that served as a garage.  My brothers spent a lot of their time in the garage, creating, welding, and repairing. Both the quonset and the brooder house were still used when the farm was sold in 1998.


Comments

  1. That looks like the perfect place for a farm child's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a brooder house on the farm we lived on early in our marriage. My MIL was still keeping chickens there. It would have been a perfect place to play - after it was cleaned out. When she moved into town, she had the brooder house moved and used it for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard quonset hut in some time:) Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great memories!!...I love hearing about growing up on the farm...I grew up in the city...but had parents & hubby that grew up on the farmed so I've heard lots of stories... I believe the farm is the place for kids to grow:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture! Love the brooder house. That would have been the perfect play house!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful memories! I had never heard of a brooder house but it does look like the perfect little playhouse.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely memories. I love the photo! The dogs had to get in on the picture taking. I was an only child and claimed a playhouse area in a tool shed. My dad finally gave up and moved out of the shed so I could continue to create a house for my dolls and bears. It was well furnished by the time I finished and dad built a bigger tool shed. Great post Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy I get my eggs from a woman who keeps chickens now in WIsconsin. Just down the road. She told me not to wash them. This is foreign for me the germaphobe RN. What's the deal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it fun to have old family photos? I have fond memories of my grandpa's chicken house in WI.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a brooder house too just like yours. It was one of my favorite places, first with the chicks and then it would get cleaned out and become a perfect rainy day place where it could become anyplace I imagined. Thanks for the memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stories about your home always interests me as I was a city girl or more accurately a suburban girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.