Overwhelmed and Thankful

Fabric for Quilt of Valor backs
sent by Karin H.
March 2015
Last year, Karin (Lovin' Life at the End of the Dirt Road) shared that a quilt shop on the way to her Mother's home in Texas often had yardage on sale that would be ideal for QOV backings. She asked if I would be interested in some fabric the next time she stopped.

Karin contacted me a few weeks ago with the news the shop was going out of business and the fabrics were significantly reduced. She asked if I was still interested. At first, I told her that I wasn't since Marilyn had just sent me some yardage. Yet, when Karin told me the cost of the fabric, it was a deal that I couldn't resist. See the fabric that Karin brought home in this blog post.

Karin and I texted and emailed for several days, and I indicated the fabrics and the amounts that I wanted. I intended to send payment via PayPal, but Karin had other ideas: she wanted to donate the fabric to me for Quilts of Valor. I struggled with that for quite a while: it is hard for me to accept such a generous gift from someone I've never met in person. When nearly 40 yards of fabric arrived on my doorstep, I was overwhelmed by her generosity. Thank you so much, Karin!

I offered to knit Karin a pair of socks for the fabric. She shared her shoe size, and I began knitting. The temperatures in New Mexico are climbing now, and wool socks will not be useful until Fall and Winter.  These humble socks are the only way I knew to show Karin how much I appreciate her gift and her friendship.

Fraternal twins - size 9
Patons Kroy Socks
(Clover Colors)

Regia All Round Color and Angora Merino
size 9

Patons Kroy Socks
(Celestial Colors)
size 9 
I've "met" some wonderful ladies through my blog. Each one is a blessing, and I am delighted to call them "friends."



Comments

  1. What a generous donation, and what lovely socks, too! The internet has introduced me to some wonderful new friends, also--and I count you among them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that's a pretty fair trade-off especially knowing that you will be creating wonderful quilts with the fabric and all for a very good cause. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very generous donation. And I agree with Tammy that it's good trade since you will use that yardage in a QOV and "pay it forward".

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! Hats off to you both you are generous ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you too ate a blessing my friend, you have been so kind to me---you deserve good things and anyone is blessed that owns a pair of socks you have knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift! Karin is a sweetheart! I know she will love the socks and if she is anything like me, she will wear them on cool evenings even during the summer. I love the mocha colored fabric next to the bottom. I would love to make a duvet cover with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics are wonderful. I think it's so generous that Karin wanted to donate toward QOV, and of course, think of how much you have donated to the cause! You both are to be commended for such generous giving.

    Hand knit socks are so great to wear...I think she'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karin is such a sweetie to share with you!! She'll love the socks for sure!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a wonderful friend too!! Sounds like a win win WIN!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, a special friend you do have ... this is the kindness that QOV brings out in people! Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karin is going to have some very happy feet next winter and the quilts will have some very pretty backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are both great friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that certainly was generous, but then your socks are, too. You are going to be an even busier quilter! QOV people must love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg! What a great gift. You'll be using those for awhile. And what a great gift back to her. Love that purple pair! I think of all the friends I've made on the Internet. It's a faster, broader version on having pen pals. Love your posts. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.