Foreign Friday

Chinese Artisan
Taipei, Taiwan
December 1979

On December 29, 1979, my group toured the Chinese Pottery Factory, and I took many photos.

I was amazed by the sheer volume of pottery being produced and all the intricate handwork of the individual artisans. I would have liked to spend more time in this area, but when touring with a group, that is simply not possible.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to this factory online and my travel journal does not say specifically where it was located in Taipei, but my research revealed that the city of Yingge is the pottery capital of Taiwan; perhaps, that is where these photos were taken.

More photos of the pottery in the weeks ahead.


Comments

  1. Isn't it AMAZING how smooth and even they can work the clay? I would have a mishappen lump for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing someone working at the art of pottery always makes me want to buy, but the only time I actually tried it . . . not easy at all. Makes me admire the artist even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about the delicate floral set on the corner of the work table. Are they for tea or incense, or are they examples of the artist's work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...look at the size of that baby!! I mean bowl. I admire these artisans, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that there are people preserving these amazing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must be hard work day in and day out! We watched people in Bratislava doing this, and I kept thinking how their hands and backs must get sore. The pottery is amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I did pottery in High School and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pottery. I tried and failed quickly at a class. More pottery pictures. Are any of your pottery pieces survivors

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where else did you tour? You had quite an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.