Benched for the Season(s)

Noro scarf turned cowl

I loved the the Fall Swap Scarf knit from the Noro yarn so much that I adapted the pattern to knit a cowl. Things did not turn out as I planned, but I can live with the result.

My original intent was to use a provisional cast-on and graft the stitches when finished; thus, creating a cowl. It sounded feasible, so I cast on and knit, using the Noro Striped Scarf pattern from Ravelry. As I neared the end of the two balls of Noro, I researched grafting a 1 x 1 rib. Hmmm, not as easy as I thought, as it is considerably different than the kitchner stitch I use to graft sock toes. No matter how much I tried, I could not wrap my mind around grafting for the ribbing. Finally in frustration, I used the three-needle bind off. The seam is visible on one side, but it should not be a problem when worn around the neck.

Spring is nearly here, and the days of wearing a thick, wool cowl have hopefully passed for the year. This cowl's debut must, therefore, be delayed until cold temperatures return in six or seven months. I'm not going to complain, as I am ready for some warm sunshine.

Comments

  1. Too bad you can't wear it right away but it will be something to look forward to:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors are gorgeous together. Maybe you'll still get to wear it on a cool evening. Even WE are still having some of those. LOL

    Congrats on the beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Noro cowl is gorgeous! I'm sure no one will ever see the seam. About half the cowls I own have a back seam. I am a knitting scared-y cat and have backed off from things like Kitchener for ribbing many times! The better part of valor right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scarf, Nancy!! I think using the 3 needle bind-off was a good decision. Grafting a 1X1 rib must be a dilly - must have to use smoke and mirrors as part of the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice finish! Too bad the weather is too warm for it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Nancy , I love it and I love a three needle bind off. Here's to SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's stunning. I'm going to dig out my Noro next fall and copycat. Or... a certain other striping yarn SOMEONE gave me that I haven't knitted with yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll be the only one that will ever see that the join is not seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! And a clever solution, too. Glad you don't need a warm cowl anymore but fun to have something new in reserve for next year, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.