Fly Away Home

Fly Away Home
Quilt of Valor
55 x 69 inches

Fly Away Home is #18 in the 12 in 2012 Quilt of Valor Challenge and is another quilt made from the Come Fly with Me pattern by creative sewlutions.

Even though this is the second quilt I made from this pattern, the pieces gave me fits, and I ripped out and repositioned the pieces more than once. When I told Chan about my struggles with #18 and that the quilt was probably going to someone who was contrary, she replied, "That's funny, Nancy. I'm glad you perservered; maybe #18 is really going to go to someone who never gives up."  I love that idea because Quilts of Valor are presented to brave men and women, and in addition to those traits, I am confident the recipient of #18 is strong-willed and persistent, too.

QOV #14 (Come Fly With Me) features red and blue flying geese; where as, #18 showcases rainbow-colored flying geese.

This quilt used the last bits of black and white fabric, purchased specifically for this pattern.

Sometime, I'd like to make a similar quilt with stars instead of flying geese.

Update: November 28, 2012

Alycia posted this quilt on her blog today.


Comments

  1. Beautiful! I agree this one is for a certain soldier to be revealed at a later date.
    Love the black and white.
    Keep on sewing' girl.
    wyogg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rainbow geese. Were the geese paper pieced or "regular" sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striking! This is one of my very favorites so far. A luck and well deserving person will get this awesome quilt. I am glad there is a YOU that is so generous!
    Rebel Follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the stars idea but the geese are wonderful! I hope someone receives the quilt who is as strong as your determination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy B makes me laugh. I don't know how wise I am... but I can say that I'm pretty good with words.

    Love #18, but the idea of substituting stars is even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonder quilt and a fabulous back story. I'm sure the soldier who receives it will be very deserving. I think that quilt would be stunning with stars. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fly Away Home is perfect, Nancy! I love it! And it would be great with stars, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute using the strips and flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! The geese look like they are floating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.