Words to Live By. . .

I purchased this framed prayer over twenty years ago, but it speaks to me every time I read it. It may be difficult to read from the photo, so here is the text:

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself, that I am growing older and will some day be old. Keep me from getting talkative and particularly from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to try to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful, but not moody; helpful, but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest, Lord that I want a few friends at the end. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details: give me wings to get to the point. SEAL MY LIPS from my many aches and pains. They are increasing, and my love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pains. Help me to endure them with patience. Teach me the glorious lesson that it is occasionally possible that I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not want to be a saint. Some of them are hard to live with; but a sour old woman is one of the crowning works of the devil. Help me to extract all possible fun out of life. There are so many funny things around us, and I don't want to miss any of them. Amen

Prayer of a Seventeenth Century nun

Comments

  1. Wow! That's fantastic... and so painfully true. I think I'm going to print it as my own set of words to live by. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Seal my lips from my many aches and pains." That's good advice at any age. No one enjoys being around a complainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent words to strive to live by....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful wisdom. I've copied it and printed it and will POST it on my wall!!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh Amazing prayer. LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT NANCY, THANKS FOR SHARING.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK WITH A LINK TO YOUR BLOG AND E-MAILED IT TO MY AUNT TRISHA IN NEW MEXICO ALONG WITH A LINK TO YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely words to live by, Nancy! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this not only for myself, but there are a few co-workers who could benefit from it also! LOL Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a great prayer. And I laugh at the end--I didn't expect the seventeenth century nun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.