Got Books?


New carpeting is being installed in the local public library, and it has been closed since January 10th. I thought I had checked out enough audio books to see me through the closure. I didn't calculate very well.

I searched online for some free audio books and found a few good sites. I downloaded Alice in Wonderland from this site just to see if it would work with my iPod Shuffle. Each chapter is read by a different volunteer. Some are really good readers with expressive voices, and some are almost painful to endure. The good readers do make the tedious ones more bearable, though. The readers are from all over the world: Tokyo, New York City, Longmont, CO, Long Beach, CA, and other locations. One woman's accent was definitely British and made Alice's tale more fun.

I have since downloaded Orwell's 1984 from this site, but I haven't started it yet. I hope its reader(s) are consistently enthusiastic and talented.

I haven't tried this site yet, but it appears to have a nice selection, too.

A quick search brought up some other available sites, here, here, and here.

Hopefully, the library will be open on Monday, but until then, I should be able to find some books online to "read."

Comments

  1. I really like the idea of listening to books while you knit. I should do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for all the free audiobook links! I've heard of Librivox before, but not the rest of them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.