Simple Woman's Daybook


Simple Woman Daybook

Monday, October 6, 2008

Outside My Window. . . the sky is clear, and it promises to be a beautiful day. The air is crisp and a bit brisk. Puddles remain in the gutter from last night's rain. Wet leaves, as if glued in place, do not stir in the light breeze.

I am thinking... about my brother-in-law who had back surgery last week. Since he is such a workaholic, I wonder how my sister is going to keep him occupied while he recovers.

I am thankful... that it was rain that fell last night. The weatherman said it might snow, but I am not mentally ready for winter. I want to fall colors to last for a bit longer; I need a gradual transition this year.

In the kitchen... is a box of tomatoes that a friend gave me. He apologized that they were small and not ripe. They are the perfect size for snacking, and they will ripen in their own good time, allowing me to enjoy them longer. No grocery store tomato can match one from the garden. Garden tomatoes have the scent of the plant, nothing can compare.

I am wearing... black slacks and a pink sweater.

I am creating... a wool sweater. I hope to finish it by Wednesday and get it in the mail for the afghans for Afghans youth campaign. If I do not finish it in time, it will be sent to the Pine Ridge Reservation. Either way, a child will be kept warm.

I am going... on a road trip this weekend.

I am reading...The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Actually, I am listening to the book on CD's while I knit. I am on disk #7. I didn't have a chance to listen this past week.

I am hoping... to get a rug started this week. I have been procrastinating too long.

I am hearing... the hiss of the tea kettle. Perhaps, I will have one more cup of tea before getting serious about my day.

One of my favorite things... is a china cabinet that I inherited from my mother, who inherited it from my grandmother. Standing about five feet tall, it has curved glass panels on the side and a glass door in the center. On the four shelves, I have a mixture of old and new glassware and china. I vividly remember the day my mother received the cabinet. Her brother and his two children from South Dakota hauled it to Wyoming in the back of a pickup in the dead of winter. It was bitter cold, and mom was afraid that the cabinet's glass would crack as it warmed up in the house. Since I obtained the cabinet, it has been moved twice: each time I hold my breath, fearing the worst.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: luncheon meeting with a new support group member, work on support group newsletter, road trip this weekend.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



Enjoy Life: This is Not a Dress Rehearsal

My great-niece constantly reminds me not to lose the child-like wonder of the world.

~If you'd like to particpate in The Simple Woman's Daybook (each Monday), you can visit The Simple Woman's blog here. To get instructions for particpating, click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar.

Comments

  1. I'd love to see a picture of your china cabinet. The curved glass panels sound like they'd be fragile. How wonderful they've remained intact all of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying the Simple Woman's Daybook posts on the blogs I read which participate. It gives us little glimpses into the home and life of the blog's author that don't always come out otherwise.

    The china cabinet sounds like a treasure, Nancy. I envy you the tomatoes. I know what you mean about the difference in the taste of garden grown, and I love that fresh tomato smell. The ones from the grocery store have no smell at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! This is Colleen (Melonlady1724) from the PH boards. I thought I'd check out your blog. I like these Simple Woman Daybook entries, I should try one out!

    Take care,
    Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.