The Simple Woman's Daybook


Simple Woman Daybook


FOR TODAY - Monday, September 15, 2008

Outside My Window. . .the trees appear tired and weary with the burden of their leaves. Near the crown, the foliage has a slight tinge of gold. Soon, the ground will be littered with the castoffs and the barren branches will sigh with relief.

I am thinking...that I had better get busy and winterize my yard before the cold weather decides to settle in. It is a chore that I dread, but one that is necessary.

I am thankful for...my ability to find things to occupy my hands and mind. I am thankful that I can use my talents to create things for people in need. So many of people claim to be "bored," but I think they are just boring.

From the kitchen...rows of gleaming, mason jars are waiting to be stowed in a box for Christmas gifts. Twelve pints are filled with apricot jam. Seven quarts contain crab apple and plum juice for making future batches of jelly. I love capturing the taste of summer to be enjoyed in the dead of winter.

I am wearing...some ugly knee-high compression stockings. My body is retaining too much fluid, and they help to reduce the swelling in my legs.

I am creating...a pair of socks. I inherited the yarn and the finished ribbed cuff of one sock from a friend who decided she doesn't like to knit socks. The yarn is soft and is striping nicely, but I understand why she did not like to knit with it: the stitches slide too easily off the needles.

I am going...to lunch with two old friends tomorrow. We try to meet at least once a month to chat and to stay connected.

I am reading...The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Actually, I am listening to the book on CD's while I knit.

I am hoping...the leaders we elect in November will bring Americans together.

I am hearing...the steady ticking of the clock, hanging on the wall. It is comforting.

Around the house...are piles of books and magazines and papers. I need to try to bring order to the chaos.

One of my favorite things...chocolate.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: a dental appointment for a routine cleaning, knitting night at the public library, lunch with old friends, finish the support group newsletter and send it to the members.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

Learn all you can about your ancestors and share that knowledge with your children.


~If you'd like to particpate in The Simple Woman's Daybook (each Monday), you can visit The Simple Woman's blog here. To get instructions for particpating, click on The Simple Woman's Daybook icon in her sidebar.

Comments

  1. Nancy, I loved reading your Daybook entry! Your "outside my window" sounded like an opening paragraph to a very good book, one I'd like to read. You are a gifted writer!

    I love the old pictures. I wish I'd had more of an interest in family history before my grandparents died.

    I also love what you had to say about those who are bored, that was priceless! ;-Þ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an engaging writer!@ ir eally enjoyed your daybook! I am into my genealogy, also. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just discussing with my husband the other day how I never feel bored at this time in my life. There is always something to do and when there isn't, I'm grateful for the break.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.